chocolate: check!
I didn't think it was possible, but after a while, I just got numb to the pain of my world without chocolate. Don't get me wrong, there was chocolate in the world -- just not in my world. For a month, I didn't eat or drink chocolate, with two small exceptions. At a BBQ on July 4, there was a chocolate crumb cake on the table, and I literally ate one crumb, and then quickly remembered by task. I didn't have it because I wanted it, I had it because it was there and I wasn't thinking. So I forgave myself and went on. Later, in Chicago almost 2 weeks later, I was out shopping with my (adorable) cousin Alison, and I suddenly felt faint and knew my blood sugar was low. I just needed some sugar quickly, and we found a White Hen. I made the decision to grab a Power Bar, and instinctively reached for "Chocolate." However, anyone who has ever had a "chocolate" Power Bar knows that it's actually neither "good" nor is it really "chocolate." But as Josie said -- chocolate saved you in your time of need. It's true. Again, I didn't have it because of a craving or even really by design. I had even been IN 2 gourmet chocolate shops earlier that day, and resistd all of those temptations. I didn't even realize I had eaten chocolate until I took my last bite of the bar. So, be all accounts, I still accomplished my task.
How did I break my chocolate fast? I had all sorts of ideas in mind, but due to a surprise work trip* to Honduras, there was less pomp and circumstance attached to the return to chocolate. At lunch on Wednesday the 26th, a brownie was served with our meals at Fogoncito's** in San Pedro Sula. It was anticlimactic, the brownie wasn't that good. Later at the airport in Miami, I got a chocolate yogurt-cookie dough "blizzard" type creation... it had nothing on Dairy Queen though. Still pretty yummy though.
Did I miss chocolate? Yes. But really more in the sense of having to make the conscious choice to not eat chocolate when it was available. There were a few times where I passed up chocolate sauce, etc, when I really did want it, but for the most part, I was jazzed to cross this item off of my list and knew I could always just have chocolate later.
I'm not making up for lost time in the excess that I thought I would though :)
* I was informed Thursday after COB that there was a chance I would be on a 6am flight on the following Tuesday.
** I have come to find out that Fogoncito's is actually a Mexican restaurant. The delegation with which I traveled was clearly not in to availing themselves of the local cuisine. I am not lying, Fogoncito's was chosen only after Applebee's was shot down by a glare from me.
How did I break my chocolate fast? I had all sorts of ideas in mind, but due to a surprise work trip* to Honduras, there was less pomp and circumstance attached to the return to chocolate. At lunch on Wednesday the 26th, a brownie was served with our meals at Fogoncito's** in San Pedro Sula. It was anticlimactic, the brownie wasn't that good. Later at the airport in Miami, I got a chocolate yogurt-cookie dough "blizzard" type creation... it had nothing on Dairy Queen though. Still pretty yummy though.
Did I miss chocolate? Yes. But really more in the sense of having to make the conscious choice to not eat chocolate when it was available. There were a few times where I passed up chocolate sauce, etc, when I really did want it, but for the most part, I was jazzed to cross this item off of my list and knew I could always just have chocolate later.
I'm not making up for lost time in the excess that I thought I would though :)
* I was informed Thursday after COB that there was a chance I would be on a 6am flight on the following Tuesday.
** I have come to find out that Fogoncito's is actually a Mexican restaurant. The delegation with which I traveled was clearly not in to availing themselves of the local cuisine. I am not lying, Fogoncito's was chosen only after Applebee's was shot down by a glare from me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home