SFC: check!
Where have I even been? I have no idea, but somehow it became June. Happy June! I have been progressing on my list, and here is the exciting update! I know you’ve been on the edge of your seats. wait no longer.
* * *
SFC: check!
As discussed, I attended the orientation session for Suited for Change (SFC) in early May. There were about 12 women at the orientation session, and the organization seemed well-organized. The “Boutique” where women pick out their suits looked organized and plentiful, and I learned from the orientation leaders that they really try to keep the clothes seasonal and current, and end up giving away a lot, and sell the nicer items on consignment and using the money for the operating budget. After a few minutes with the clothes though… I got sneezy. The basement with no ventilation and hundreds (thousands?) of second-hand suits apparently got the best of me. I’m going to check in with SFC to see if there is clerical or administrative work I can do, that’s not in the back of the Boutique.
The next week, I attended the orientation for volunteers for the SFC Auction to be held the next night. I was assigned to be a “runner,” a person who runs to get people’s items at the end of the auction when they’re utsy to get home. The orientation went smoothly, and I made two friends who would prove useful the next night. AND, they provided Potbellys. Win-win.
I arrived at the City Museum in advance of the Auction, to find a very well-organized maze of tables, drinks, and snacks. There was also a very creepy room of live models wearing clothes you could buy at the auction. It might not have been so creepy, but the room was VERY small, and they were VERY tall. One woman asked one of the models what the deal was with the room, and she responded “We’re for sale!” So that was creepy too. About two of the eight of them looked comfortable. I got a lot happier when they started to circulate around the main room carrying descriptive signs about their outfits.
New Friend Shelley was assigned to stand next to a silent auction table and answer questions,* so during the auction I basically ran a triangle between her, my other new friend, Elizabeth, and the food. Pretty yummy food.
After a live auction, however, everything descended into madness. The numbers of the auction items were removed from the tables, so we had to basically guess which items belonged to which people, if they even knew the numbers -- a lot of people had no idea what they'd bid on or what they won -- and the buyers were anxious to get home! Only the people who set up the auction and were familiar with the items really knew where to run, so I spent a lot of my time just telling people that they could pick up their items later in the week at SFC, and that yes, SFC would find and charge them if they did not pay right then. There’s really no easy way for a silent auction to end.
Everyone looked like they had a fab time though, and the whole event really was classy. In all, a success!
Oh, and perhaps most importantly, I got to meet Barbara, who was absolutely adorable and fantastic.
Shelley and Elizabeth and I are emailing now and trying to set up a time to go in to SFC to volunteer… I wonder if I can push through the sneezies. We’ll see!
So, check off #29: Volunteer for Suited for Change, from the list!
* which was, unfortunately for everyone involved, RIGHT next to the creepy model room which was encased in glass.
* * *
SFC: check!
As discussed, I attended the orientation session for Suited for Change (SFC) in early May. There were about 12 women at the orientation session, and the organization seemed well-organized. The “Boutique” where women pick out their suits looked organized and plentiful, and I learned from the orientation leaders that they really try to keep the clothes seasonal and current, and end up giving away a lot, and sell the nicer items on consignment and using the money for the operating budget. After a few minutes with the clothes though… I got sneezy. The basement with no ventilation and hundreds (thousands?) of second-hand suits apparently got the best of me. I’m going to check in with SFC to see if there is clerical or administrative work I can do, that’s not in the back of the Boutique.
The next week, I attended the orientation for volunteers for the SFC Auction to be held the next night. I was assigned to be a “runner,” a person who runs to get people’s items at the end of the auction when they’re utsy to get home. The orientation went smoothly, and I made two friends who would prove useful the next night. AND, they provided Potbellys. Win-win.
I arrived at the City Museum in advance of the Auction, to find a very well-organized maze of tables, drinks, and snacks. There was also a very creepy room of live models wearing clothes you could buy at the auction. It might not have been so creepy, but the room was VERY small, and they were VERY tall. One woman asked one of the models what the deal was with the room, and she responded “We’re for sale!” So that was creepy too. About two of the eight of them looked comfortable. I got a lot happier when they started to circulate around the main room carrying descriptive signs about their outfits.
New Friend Shelley was assigned to stand next to a silent auction table and answer questions,* so during the auction I basically ran a triangle between her, my other new friend, Elizabeth, and the food. Pretty yummy food.
After a live auction, however, everything descended into madness. The numbers of the auction items were removed from the tables, so we had to basically guess which items belonged to which people, if they even knew the numbers -- a lot of people had no idea what they'd bid on or what they won -- and the buyers were anxious to get home! Only the people who set up the auction and were familiar with the items really knew where to run, so I spent a lot of my time just telling people that they could pick up their items later in the week at SFC, and that yes, SFC would find and charge them if they did not pay right then. There’s really no easy way for a silent auction to end.
Everyone looked like they had a fab time though, and the whole event really was classy. In all, a success!
Oh, and perhaps most importantly, I got to meet Barbara, who was absolutely adorable and fantastic.
Shelley and Elizabeth and I are emailing now and trying to set up a time to go in to SFC to volunteer… I wonder if I can push through the sneezies. We’ll see!
So, check off #29: Volunteer for Suited for Change, from the list!
* which was, unfortunately for everyone involved, RIGHT next to the creepy model room which was encased in glass.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home