may update
I have been enjoying this fabulous week of lovely weather and low humidity. I know it won't last, it never does, and soon everyone can all go back to complaining about how hot and sticky it is. I tend to not complain about the weather, because really, it seems like a waste of time.
Many goings-on since my last update! First of all, I moved! I am now a Penn Quarter resident, and it's going well so far. This will inevitably delay #24: "Put away all the stacks of random things in my apartment" -- because now my apartment actually ONLY consists of stacks of random things -- but it will work out in the long-run.
What else. I started my second biography (#20: Read 3 classics and 3 biographies), "Shakespeare" By Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, The Man Who Was Shakespeare. So far, so good.* The book propounds the theory that the William Shakespeare from Stratford-on-Avon that we were taught wrote the complete Shakesperian canon, and has been the subject of much controversy as such, is not the true Shakespeare; that "William Shake-speare" was the pen name of Edward de Vere, Duke of Oxford. I'm looking forward to the read. Should be a long one.
Today, I booked a hotel room for the France trip in September! (#2: Visit 2 foreign cities) I was all ready to use my French, but the phone operator spoke English, and it's probably best that way. I'm sure I'll have enough chance to use my French when in France. Our current thought is to do the first 4 days in Italy (locay TBD), and the last 4 days in St. Tropez for the wedding. I booked us at a highly-recommended bed and breakfast that had a resonable rate.** It's only just over four months away now, so it doesn't seem ridiculous to be planning.
I bought the pasta-making attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer using the discount Williams-Sonoma gives you after their cooking classes, and I signed up for a handmade pasta class at Casa Italiana, through the UVA Alumni Club, to be held May 31, so #5: Learn to make homemade pasta" is on the horizon. Yum!
Tomorrow is my orientation at Suited for Change (#29: Volunteer at Suited for Change), and next week I am volunteering at their big fundraising event at the City Museum, and attending the orientation session the night before. Three days in two weeks totally qualifies as volunteering somewhere, as far as list-checking--off goes. As noted below, I'll continue to volunteer of course!
Lots of other fun stuff going on these days as well -- I'll have had a trip scheduled or visitors coming to see me every other week for two months! Last weekend I went to Charlottesville to join some of my law school classmates for Foxfield Races*** and a nostalgic C-ville weekend. It is, as the website describes, a "tailgating affair." The cups the sorority girls in sundresses carried noted, "If you saw a horse, you weren't at Foxfield." My friends and I actually did see the horses running the steeplechase races ... a true sign that maybe, just maybe, we're growing up a little.
This coming weekend, I'm off to Chicago for a friend's wedding and Mother's Day. That will mark the end of my busy two months of traveling and moving. I'll be ready for the sweltering DC summer!
* even better, I thought it was like 600-700 pages, but it turns out that half of it is endnotes.
** "reasonable," that is, for the Riviera in September.
*** be prepared for galloping sound effects if you click here!
Many goings-on since my last update! First of all, I moved! I am now a Penn Quarter resident, and it's going well so far. This will inevitably delay #24: "Put away all the stacks of random things in my apartment" -- because now my apartment actually ONLY consists of stacks of random things -- but it will work out in the long-run.
What else. I started my second biography (#20: Read 3 classics and 3 biographies), "Shakespeare" By Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, The Man Who Was Shakespeare. So far, so good.* The book propounds the theory that the William Shakespeare from Stratford-on-Avon that we were taught wrote the complete Shakesperian canon, and has been the subject of much controversy as such, is not the true Shakespeare; that "William Shake-speare" was the pen name of Edward de Vere, Duke of Oxford. I'm looking forward to the read. Should be a long one.
Today, I booked a hotel room for the France trip in September! (#2: Visit 2 foreign cities) I was all ready to use my French, but the phone operator spoke English, and it's probably best that way. I'm sure I'll have enough chance to use my French when in France. Our current thought is to do the first 4 days in Italy (locay TBD), and the last 4 days in St. Tropez for the wedding. I booked us at a highly-recommended bed and breakfast that had a resonable rate.** It's only just over four months away now, so it doesn't seem ridiculous to be planning.
I bought the pasta-making attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer using the discount Williams-Sonoma gives you after their cooking classes, and I signed up for a handmade pasta class at Casa Italiana, through the UVA Alumni Club, to be held May 31, so #5: Learn to make homemade pasta" is on the horizon. Yum!
Tomorrow is my orientation at Suited for Change (#29: Volunteer at Suited for Change), and next week I am volunteering at their big fundraising event at the City Museum, and attending the orientation session the night before. Three days in two weeks totally qualifies as volunteering somewhere, as far as list-checking--off goes. As noted below, I'll continue to volunteer of course!
Lots of other fun stuff going on these days as well -- I'll have had a trip scheduled or visitors coming to see me every other week for two months! Last weekend I went to Charlottesville to join some of my law school classmates for Foxfield Races*** and a nostalgic C-ville weekend. It is, as the website describes, a "tailgating affair." The cups the sorority girls in sundresses carried noted, "If you saw a horse, you weren't at Foxfield." My friends and I actually did see the horses running the steeplechase races ... a true sign that maybe, just maybe, we're growing up a little.
This coming weekend, I'm off to Chicago for a friend's wedding and Mother's Day. That will mark the end of my busy two months of traveling and moving. I'll be ready for the sweltering DC summer!
* even better, I thought it was like 600-700 pages, but it turns out that half of it is endnotes.
** "reasonable," that is, for the Riviera in September.
*** be prepared for galloping sound effects if you click here!
Labels: biographies, c-ville, chicago, move, pasta, SFC, update

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home