it's readers like you...
...that help me keep my momentum going!
Things have been a bit slow for me recently, generally. Don't get me wrong. Work and social life are perfectly lovely, but I've been in this job for 2 years now, and it's been three years since law school ended... I think I'm just settling in to life, which appears to have some segments that are less hectic or exciting than others. In any case, I decided I needed a little change, so I am moving to a new neighborhood!* The actual building and revitalization of the neighborhood themselves are even new. Just need to start fresh sometimes...
In any case, I am now busy with moving**, and could have easily decided to take everything else easier and worked on smaller items on my list like reading a whole Sunday paper*** -- and in fact, I was planning on it -- but then I received a notification to my email that someone had left a comment on my first post. Blogpatrol was down that day, so I can only assume this commenter was doing an internet search and happened upon this blog, but someone actually posted to this blog that they volunteer for Suited for Change (SFC) and that they would love to have me volunteer! Her (? I'd guess) post notes that their big annual event is coming up in a few weeks... I'm free that night, so guess what! It was enough to spur to me to action. I am attending SFC's volunteer orientation session at the beginning of May and helping with their fundraiser later that month. I am looking forward to it -- they have been so friendly so far! Thanks, commenter!
Why, you may ask,**** did I choose SFC? A few reasons. SFC is an organization that collects and distributes nice business-dress suits, shoes, and accessories to women in need so they can dress appropriately for work; it also provides ongoing career and life skills education. My mom told me about groups like this when I was in law school (I believe), but the stars just hadn't aligned until now I guess. I think that it's a very worthy cause -- clothing, and not being able to afford certain clothing in particular, shouldn't stop an otherwise hardworking person from earling a paycheck. SFC is a local group that has been going strong for over a decade, and it seems small enough that all volunteer help will be appreciated, and probably necessary for the organization to run. And honestly, SFC is very convenient for me, location-wise, and let's face it, that helps with the motivation factor. It's between my current apartment and work, but when I move it won't be that far -- just one metro stop from work and maybe a 20-min walk from home.
Soooo... after I attend the orientation and help at the event, I think I'll be able to check off #29: Volunteer at Suited for Change -- I'll continue to volunteer of course!
* Incidentally, as I pack, I am going through all the random stacks of crap that have piled up in my life, and have high hopes of not letting them pile up again in my new place. I am very optimistic about this!
** Moving in 2.5 weeks!
*** Seriously, who hasn't read a whole Sunday paper?!? Besides me.
**** Or, Josie may ask.
Things have been a bit slow for me recently, generally. Don't get me wrong. Work and social life are perfectly lovely, but I've been in this job for 2 years now, and it's been three years since law school ended... I think I'm just settling in to life, which appears to have some segments that are less hectic or exciting than others. In any case, I decided I needed a little change, so I am moving to a new neighborhood!* The actual building and revitalization of the neighborhood themselves are even new. Just need to start fresh sometimes...
In any case, I am now busy with moving**, and could have easily decided to take everything else easier and worked on smaller items on my list like reading a whole Sunday paper*** -- and in fact, I was planning on it -- but then I received a notification to my email that someone had left a comment on my first post. Blogpatrol was down that day, so I can only assume this commenter was doing an internet search and happened upon this blog, but someone actually posted to this blog that they volunteer for Suited for Change (SFC) and that they would love to have me volunteer! Her (? I'd guess) post notes that their big annual event is coming up in a few weeks... I'm free that night, so guess what! It was enough to spur to me to action. I am attending SFC's volunteer orientation session at the beginning of May and helping with their fundraiser later that month. I am looking forward to it -- they have been so friendly so far! Thanks, commenter!
Why, you may ask,**** did I choose SFC? A few reasons. SFC is an organization that collects and distributes nice business-dress suits, shoes, and accessories to women in need so they can dress appropriately for work; it also provides ongoing career and life skills education. My mom told me about groups like this when I was in law school (I believe), but the stars just hadn't aligned until now I guess. I think that it's a very worthy cause -- clothing, and not being able to afford certain clothing in particular, shouldn't stop an otherwise hardworking person from earling a paycheck. SFC is a local group that has been going strong for over a decade, and it seems small enough that all volunteer help will be appreciated, and probably necessary for the organization to run. And honestly, SFC is very convenient for me, location-wise, and let's face it, that helps with the motivation factor. It's between my current apartment and work, but when I move it won't be that far -- just one metro stop from work and maybe a 20-min walk from home.
Soooo... after I attend the orientation and help at the event, I think I'll be able to check off #29: Volunteer at Suited for Change -- I'll continue to volunteer of course!
* Incidentally, as I pack, I am going through all the random stacks of crap that have piled up in my life, and have high hopes of not letting them pile up again in my new place. I am very optimistic about this!
** Moving in 2.5 weeks!
*** Seriously, who hasn't read a whole Sunday paper?!? Besides me.
**** Or, Josie may ask.

2 Comments:
Becky,
I am the poster you mention; so glad you'll be volunteering! I'm the auction chair that night--just look for the brunette running around like a headless chicken--and be sure to say hello!
Barbara Martin
SFC Volunteer Creative Director
By
BabsieD, at April 17, 2006 12:05 PM
Can't wait to meet you! I checked out your blog also -- love it! Good luck with all of your jobs :) I may be single, but I understand the struggle of trying to do it all. Looking forward to meeting you -- I haven't heard from the volunteer coordinator for the big event yet (I assume it isn't you?)... I'll give SFC a call later this week if I don't hear anything!
By
becky, at April 23, 2006 9:55 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home