#7... check!
You may note that #7: Go one month without drinking coffee, has been removed from the list at right. Well, you probably didn't notice, but I'll train you yet.
I am happy to report that I have accomplished Item #7 on my list! There was one notable incident with seven chocolate-covered coffee beans (one of my favorite sweets) about three weeks in, but my goal was to not drink coffee. I stopped eating the beans immediately on comprehending that they were made of, in large part, coffee, didn’t really enjoy them, and I certainly wasn’t eating them for the caffeine, so I don’t think they broke my streak.
Josie and Christina told me that they were going to check out a new coffee shop in Woodley Park, OpenCity, today so I thought that would be a ceremonious way to end to my no-coffee streak. OpenCity looks cute enough, and the food looked really good, but I was there strictly for business.* I have to say though, that I didn’t really feel like coffee. I was shocked: I thought I’d be all atwitter at the mere notion of coffee, but I wasn’t. I even contemplated not ordering coffee, but I went for it. Decaf. In the biggest cup ever. With two animal cookies. I thought the animals were a nice touch.
I have to say the experience was somewhat anticlimactic. It was more of a charge to have completed an item on my list than get back to the juice. I will still drink coffee from time to time, but not every day. I have to say that physically I’ve been feeling very alert and actually detoxed a little**. I never got to the gym to see if endorphins could help me out, due to a random attack of laryngitis and two weeks of ensuing cough, reducing my lung capacity. One of these days… In addition, I think I’ve been more productive at work, because I’ve been spending less time going downstairs for coffee or depending on the caffeine. I just start working when I get there*** ready to go, no morning coffee routine to follow. I think, also, that subconsciously my body had become accustomed to a dose of caffeine about two hours after I woke up. When it learned that such a dose would not be forthcoming, it gave up. I think I am more alert now from the gitgo.
Back to coffee. I decided that I am going to lighten up on the Splenda I use with coffee – I make it taste too yummy so that coffee had become a treat along with providing the sweet, sweet caffeine. I don’t need all of that Splenda, or even extra sugar, in my system every day, so now I’m going to use real sugar, but very little.
I was going to link to some studies on coffee, caffeine, and Splenda, but those will evolve and no doubt contradict each other as time goes on. If you're adept enough to be reading a blog, I trust that you can find studies online.
* and two hours of gossip.
** on an unrelated (?) note, knocking on a lot of wood, my back has been feeling almost… well… good!
*** eariler, I think , because i am sleeping better without the caffeine in my system. duly noted, that a lot of the beneficial effects i've been feeling are all psychological, but hey, so is a portion of the caffeine addiction, and so is a portion of life
I am happy to report that I have accomplished Item #7 on my list! There was one notable incident with seven chocolate-covered coffee beans (one of my favorite sweets) about three weeks in, but my goal was to not drink coffee. I stopped eating the beans immediately on comprehending that they were made of, in large part, coffee, didn’t really enjoy them, and I certainly wasn’t eating them for the caffeine, so I don’t think they broke my streak.
Josie and Christina told me that they were going to check out a new coffee shop in Woodley Park, OpenCity, today so I thought that would be a ceremonious way to end to my no-coffee streak. OpenCity looks cute enough, and the food looked really good, but I was there strictly for business.* I have to say though, that I didn’t really feel like coffee. I was shocked: I thought I’d be all atwitter at the mere notion of coffee, but I wasn’t. I even contemplated not ordering coffee, but I went for it. Decaf. In the biggest cup ever. With two animal cookies. I thought the animals were a nice touch.
I have to say the experience was somewhat anticlimactic. It was more of a charge to have completed an item on my list than get back to the juice. I will still drink coffee from time to time, but not every day. I have to say that physically I’ve been feeling very alert and actually detoxed a little**. I never got to the gym to see if endorphins could help me out, due to a random attack of laryngitis and two weeks of ensuing cough, reducing my lung capacity. One of these days… In addition, I think I’ve been more productive at work, because I’ve been spending less time going downstairs for coffee or depending on the caffeine. I just start working when I get there*** ready to go, no morning coffee routine to follow. I think, also, that subconsciously my body had become accustomed to a dose of caffeine about two hours after I woke up. When it learned that such a dose would not be forthcoming, it gave up. I think I am more alert now from the gitgo.
Back to coffee. I decided that I am going to lighten up on the Splenda I use with coffee – I make it taste too yummy so that coffee had become a treat along with providing the sweet, sweet caffeine. I don’t need all of that Splenda, or even extra sugar, in my system every day, so now I’m going to use real sugar, but very little.
I was going to link to some studies on coffee, caffeine, and Splenda, but those will evolve and no doubt contradict each other as time goes on. If you're adept enough to be reading a blog, I trust that you can find studies online.
* and two hours of gossip.
** on an unrelated (?) note, knocking on a lot of wood, my back has been feeling almost… well… good!
*** eariler, I think , because i am sleeping better without the caffeine in my system. duly noted, that a lot of the beneficial effects i've been feeling are all psychological, but hey, so is a portion of the caffeine addiction, and so is a portion of life

2 Comments:
"I have to say the experience was somewhat anticlimactic."
How can hanging out with me be anticlimatic? ;) Just kidding of course. Congrats on the Coffee kick.
By
Teen, at January 18, 2006 9:33 AM
To clarify, the coffee itself was anticimactic... hanging out with Christina and Josie could NEVER be described that way.
By
becky, at January 18, 2006 9:38 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home