crappy dumpling attempt leads to book purchase
Over a recent vacation, my father indicated that he was interested in taking cooking classes. I've known him to dabble in the kitchen, but usually just in the potato, turkey fryer, and poultry "bacon" arenas. As he listed the ideal subject matters that he would be interested in, it became apparent he was probably just having a little craving for Jewish foods that are hard to find. Not particularly yummy, mind you, just hard to find. One item he listed was "rugalach."* He said "what's wrong with rugalach today is the dough -- it shouldnt be too flaky. And there should be LOTS of raisins in it." Not exactly my idea of pastry heaven, but I've been baking a lot recently and thought I'd give it a shot. I printed off a few recipes, and they all looked vaguely similar so I figured it was ok if I improvised a little. I made the easiest recipe of those I had gathered** and made three different variations of fillings with that dough. I mailed them to my dad and voila! He liked them! He said the dough was good, and better than some of the sub-par rugalach that's been plaguing him recently***. Of course, they needed "more raisins." The next time I send them, I'll load them up -- I just don't personally like raisins so in order to taste this first batch, I wanted them to be edible to myself.****
ANYway, because this went so well, I attempted to make kreplach***** and I will make this story shorter: it didn't work. At all. The dough was very doughy (almost gooey) although the filling was just fine. As I have become more adventuresome with recipes, I also have come to terms with throwing away entire failed attempts. It will be better the next time!
The stars have now aligned to begin working on Item #5: Learn to make homemade pasta. I took the first step towards this goal, and purchased the Williams Sonoma book entitled Mastering: Pasta Noodles & Dumplings. I flipped through it, and I seem to have all of the equipment needed except the pasta cranky-thing itself. I may start with a no-crank-required pasta, but the crank may be the last kitchen appliance that I can cram in my kitchen.
I am not sure yet when I'll start, but probably soon. I'll keep you posted!
* which luckily other people spell wrong too so google was able to find me a recipe
** namely, it didn't require refrigeration of the dough and i didn't at the time have interest in a delayed-gratification project
*** small pat on back for self
**** here is the recipe, in case you were on the edge of your seat:
Dough:
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sifted icing sugar
1/2 t salt
1 c cold unsalted butter
4 oz cold cream cheese
Filling:
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1 c finely chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup apricot jam or strawberry jam
Mini chocolate chips
Optional Glaze:
Milk
2 T granulated sugar (optional) (or cinnamon-sugar mix left over from filling)
Makes 64 cookies
In a medium-size bowl, blend the flour, icing sugar and salt, using a fork.
Cut the butter and cream cheese into 1-inch cubes.
With a pastry blender, cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour mixture until the dough is the consistency of small peas.
Then, work the dough with your hands until it has a coarse meal texture.
Press the dough into a ball.
If the dough is too soft to roll, wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a fork, stir the sugar and cinnamon together.
Divide the dough into four pieces.
On a lightly floured board, using a floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece into a rectangle approximately 1/8-inch thick.
Spread any combination of the fillings on the dough.
Repeat with the remaining pieces dough.
Roll up the rectangles, cut into bite-sized pieces, and place on a silpat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
If using a glaze, brush the milk on the cookies and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in the center of the preheated oven until golden, about 13 to 15 minutes.
Remove to a rack until the cookies have cooled.
Store in the refrigerator or freeze.
***** they're like dumplings -- dough filled with a meat mixture
ANYway, because this went so well, I attempted to make kreplach***** and I will make this story shorter: it didn't work. At all. The dough was very doughy (almost gooey) although the filling was just fine. As I have become more adventuresome with recipes, I also have come to terms with throwing away entire failed attempts. It will be better the next time!
The stars have now aligned to begin working on Item #5: Learn to make homemade pasta. I took the first step towards this goal, and purchased the Williams Sonoma book entitled Mastering: Pasta Noodles & Dumplings. I flipped through it, and I seem to have all of the equipment needed except the pasta cranky-thing itself. I may start with a no-crank-required pasta, but the crank may be the last kitchen appliance that I can cram in my kitchen.
I am not sure yet when I'll start, but probably soon. I'll keep you posted!
* which luckily other people spell wrong too so google was able to find me a recipe
** namely, it didn't require refrigeration of the dough and i didn't at the time have interest in a delayed-gratification project
*** small pat on back for self
**** here is the recipe, in case you were on the edge of your seat:
Dough:
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sifted icing sugar
1/2 t salt
1 c cold unsalted butter
4 oz cold cream cheese
Filling:
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1 c finely chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup apricot jam or strawberry jam
Mini chocolate chips
Optional Glaze:
Milk
2 T granulated sugar (optional) (or cinnamon-sugar mix left over from filling)
Makes 64 cookies
In a medium-size bowl, blend the flour, icing sugar and salt, using a fork.
Cut the butter and cream cheese into 1-inch cubes.
With a pastry blender, cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour mixture until the dough is the consistency of small peas.
Then, work the dough with your hands until it has a coarse meal texture.
Press the dough into a ball.
If the dough is too soft to roll, wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a fork, stir the sugar and cinnamon together.
Divide the dough into four pieces.
On a lightly floured board, using a floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece into a rectangle approximately 1/8-inch thick.
Spread any combination of the fillings on the dough.
Repeat with the remaining pieces dough.
Roll up the rectangles, cut into bite-sized pieces, and place on a silpat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
If using a glaze, brush the milk on the cookies and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in the center of the preheated oven until golden, about 13 to 15 minutes.
Remove to a rack until the cookies have cooled.
Store in the refrigerator or freeze.
***** they're like dumplings -- dough filled with a meat mixture

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home