the countdown begins
September 2005 marked my two-year anniversary in the work force.* I am proud of everything I have accomplished thus far... I have truly amazing, supportive, and dynamic friends; I went to great schools; I have a challenging and interesting job** that I wake up excited for every day... all in all, things are good. I lead a very charmed life. But two years into The Real World, I looked back and realized that maybe I'd just been getting by. I hadn't really pushed myself in any area.*** I looked in the mirror one day, and smiled, and decided not to let my life pass me by. I didn't want to wake up at 30, or 50, or 70, and regret not having used my 20s to explore some areas of the world**** that I may not have time to explore later in life.
So, I took a cue from a friend of a friend of a friend. I've never met Mirella, but I thought the idea of enumerating and documenting a list of things to do before I turned 30 sounded great.***** Little did I know that a lot of my friends are feeling the same itch I did, and at least two, Josie and Krista, have their own lists now. Everyone I've mentioned my list to has been very supportive... Krista so much so that we helped each other create our lists. Josie inspired me to start the blog. And here we are.
I tried, throughout my list, to be realistic. I don't want to run a marathon, nor do I think this body could handle it; I don't want to visit all seven continents in the next three years, nor do I know if tourists can visit Antartica; I don't want to learn a new language, realistically I just don't have the energy to devote to it right now. I just don't want to wake up and realize that I let another few years sneak by. Everything on my list is generally up to me to complete -- I'm not depending on others, except for a few family-related items because I want to be able to get things done and only have my own excuses to worry about. Some items require more energy, time, and planning... some I could wake up tomorrow and complete, or make serious headway on. I will keep you posted on my decision-making process, reasoning, and disclaimers.******
Comments and encouragement are welcome. My life is so charmed because I know I'm not in it alone.
Happy New Year, and I'll see you back here soon.
* if you're doing the math, count three years of law school in there.
** two adjectives that certainly don't capture the entirety of my every-day experience there.
*** "i swear i'm going to exercise 5 times a week!!!" never really works out as planned.
**** literally and figuratively.
***** yes, i could be more Type A if I tried.
****** most importantly, that the "public" wearing of the bikini includes the pool at my apartment complex, and this was decided by a panel of 3 descriminating judges
So, I took a cue from a friend of a friend of a friend. I've never met Mirella, but I thought the idea of enumerating and documenting a list of things to do before I turned 30 sounded great.***** Little did I know that a lot of my friends are feeling the same itch I did, and at least two, Josie and Krista, have their own lists now. Everyone I've mentioned my list to has been very supportive... Krista so much so that we helped each other create our lists. Josie inspired me to start the blog. And here we are.
I tried, throughout my list, to be realistic. I don't want to run a marathon, nor do I think this body could handle it; I don't want to visit all seven continents in the next three years, nor do I know if tourists can visit Antartica; I don't want to learn a new language, realistically I just don't have the energy to devote to it right now. I just don't want to wake up and realize that I let another few years sneak by. Everything on my list is generally up to me to complete -- I'm not depending on others, except for a few family-related items because I want to be able to get things done and only have my own excuses to worry about. Some items require more energy, time, and planning... some I could wake up tomorrow and complete, or make serious headway on. I will keep you posted on my decision-making process, reasoning, and disclaimers.******
Comments and encouragement are welcome. My life is so charmed because I know I'm not in it alone.
Happy New Year, and I'll see you back here soon.
* if you're doing the math, count three years of law school in there.
** two adjectives that certainly don't capture the entirety of my every-day experience there.
*** "i swear i'm going to exercise 5 times a week!!!" never really works out as planned.
**** literally and figuratively.
***** yes, i could be more Type A if I tried.
****** most importantly, that the "public" wearing of the bikini includes the pool at my apartment complex, and this was decided by a panel of 3 descriminating judges

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home