lazy night, part II*
One of the points of making my list was to branch out and try some new activities that were a bit beyond my comfort zone. I've ended up baking and cooking a lot**.
This week I made what I refer to as an "awesome" pizza crust. I basically followed the recipe from the cuisinart cookbook and added some garlic. And seriously, it was awesome. I had a little incident with the yeast, but it was a positive learning experience, and I now know that it's ok if you don't use a full package of yeast per batch. My dad, of course, is interested in a twist on what I think is yummy, and has asked me to figure out how to make a thin pizza crust (I prefer doughier, puffier crusts). I shall oblige.
I added some plain tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and parsley, some sweet onion and mozzerella cheese, and voila! I ate pizza for two days straight. I only stopped because I ran out of cheese. YUM.
It's no pasta, but it's something.
What else... still working on Golda's My Life. I do think its background will help me enjoy the musical that much more, even though it's taking me some time to get through. I should be reading it now, but I inadvertantly made tonight "wine, cookies, and olympics" night. Again, YUM.
Last night, I started to really get into the corners of my apartment I hadn't tended to in a while -- I think since I moved in (shhhh!!). I straightened up a few corners of my bedroom (3 of the 4, to be exact) and I have to say, there might be something to feng shui. Calm, ordered environments may just dictate calm and order. We shall see. Importantly, I went through the contents of, and disposed of, a shopping bag that moved with me from my last apartment. It was the random stuff that never had a home at my last apartment and didn't, until now, really have a home here. "Home" may currently be my coffee table, but I know where I want it to go***. Of note, in that bag I found: two (that's 2) Indiana license plates****, a softball, Cold-Eeze lozenges, paper clips, 3 splenda packets, glass picture frame clips (no accompanying frames), 3 picture frames (one empty, one with a picture of my dad and brother, and one with me and my two grandpas at father's day a few years ago), 3 flashlights*****, two glasses cases (one empty, one with prescription sunglasses that change from blue to green in the light******), two hangers, and a dry-cleaning bag. Really, I could have gotten through that bag sooner. That bag was one of the things I had in mind when I wrote #24, "Put away all the stacks of random things in my apartment." There are of course more stacks of random things. There are always more stacks of random things. Besides everything in my bedroom, I straightened up a little cabinet in my "foyer." It all felt very good.
Today I also went to a birthday party at Kaz Sushi Bistro*******, where we made our own sushi, including tuna and salmon sashimi, and shrimp cups; and a salmon roll, a California roll, and a spicy salmon hand roll. Now, I don't LOVE sushi, but I do like it, and apparently when I make it myself, I really like it. Kaz himself instructed the sushi-rolling, and he was great. Had "roll my own sushi" been on the list, I'd be done, but I don't think I realized how fun it would be, or else it would have made the list!
I don't mean to freak out prematurely, but it sounds like a few of my friends may be leaving DC within the next two years. Even though I've already been here two and a half years, that seems very soon. I'll be ok -- my college friends are still moving here at a very decent rate -- but it's sad. I was fully apprised that DC was a transient city, but I hadn't seen it yet. I think, more accurately, my generation itself is transient.
I also spent a good chunk of time today loading up music to my new iPod nano. Now, I wasn't planning on buying an iPod. Much like DVDs, I thought I could, perhaps, save some time and effort and just wait for the next technology and catch on then. But, due a serendipitous -- and, I must stress, extremely unexpected and generous -- gift, I have been thrust into the heart of mp3s. Here I am! I have my "Gym_1" playlist started, and I have to say that it's been a while since I worked out to a mix I made myself -- since mix tapes themselves were de rigeur, I'd say. Despite any predicted impending snow storm, I think I'll be able to get to the Apple store in Clarendon tomorrow to get a case for the Nano so I can get it (and me) to the gym.********
Full day, no?
* Lazy, but productive, I think! And, I'm pretty sure there will be more.
** Which is well within my comfort zone, but still, decidedly, yummy.
***Most of it will go to a storage locker in the garage.
**** Haven't had a car with Indiana plates for 2.5 years.
***** None of which, of course, work.
****** Why am I allowed to have a credit card?
******* Happy Birthday Ted!!
******** Incidentally, I will be out by Clarendon because book club is towards Falls Church, and it is purely because I'm reading My Life that I was unable to start, never mind finish, this month's book club selection, My Sister's Keeper.
This week I made what I refer to as an "awesome" pizza crust. I basically followed the recipe from the cuisinart cookbook and added some garlic. And seriously, it was awesome. I had a little incident with the yeast, but it was a positive learning experience, and I now know that it's ok if you don't use a full package of yeast per batch. My dad, of course, is interested in a twist on what I think is yummy, and has asked me to figure out how to make a thin pizza crust (I prefer doughier, puffier crusts). I shall oblige.
I added some plain tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and parsley, some sweet onion and mozzerella cheese, and voila! I ate pizza for two days straight. I only stopped because I ran out of cheese. YUM.
It's no pasta, but it's something.
What else... still working on Golda's My Life. I do think its background will help me enjoy the musical that much more, even though it's taking me some time to get through. I should be reading it now, but I inadvertantly made tonight "wine, cookies, and olympics" night. Again, YUM.
Last night, I started to really get into the corners of my apartment I hadn't tended to in a while -- I think since I moved in (shhhh!!). I straightened up a few corners of my bedroom (3 of the 4, to be exact) and I have to say, there might be something to feng shui. Calm, ordered environments may just dictate calm and order. We shall see. Importantly, I went through the contents of, and disposed of, a shopping bag that moved with me from my last apartment. It was the random stuff that never had a home at my last apartment and didn't, until now, really have a home here. "Home" may currently be my coffee table, but I know where I want it to go***. Of note, in that bag I found: two (that's 2) Indiana license plates****, a softball, Cold-Eeze lozenges, paper clips, 3 splenda packets, glass picture frame clips (no accompanying frames), 3 picture frames (one empty, one with a picture of my dad and brother, and one with me and my two grandpas at father's day a few years ago), 3 flashlights*****, two glasses cases (one empty, one with prescription sunglasses that change from blue to green in the light******), two hangers, and a dry-cleaning bag. Really, I could have gotten through that bag sooner. That bag was one of the things I had in mind when I wrote #24, "Put away all the stacks of random things in my apartment." There are of course more stacks of random things. There are always more stacks of random things. Besides everything in my bedroom, I straightened up a little cabinet in my "foyer." It all felt very good.
Today I also went to a birthday party at Kaz Sushi Bistro*******, where we made our own sushi, including tuna and salmon sashimi, and shrimp cups; and a salmon roll, a California roll, and a spicy salmon hand roll. Now, I don't LOVE sushi, but I do like it, and apparently when I make it myself, I really like it. Kaz himself instructed the sushi-rolling, and he was great. Had "roll my own sushi" been on the list, I'd be done, but I don't think I realized how fun it would be, or else it would have made the list!
I don't mean to freak out prematurely, but it sounds like a few of my friends may be leaving DC within the next two years. Even though I've already been here two and a half years, that seems very soon. I'll be ok -- my college friends are still moving here at a very decent rate -- but it's sad. I was fully apprised that DC was a transient city, but I hadn't seen it yet. I think, more accurately, my generation itself is transient.
I also spent a good chunk of time today loading up music to my new iPod nano. Now, I wasn't planning on buying an iPod. Much like DVDs, I thought I could, perhaps, save some time and effort and just wait for the next technology and catch on then. But, due a serendipitous -- and, I must stress, extremely unexpected and generous -- gift, I have been thrust into the heart of mp3s. Here I am! I have my "Gym_1" playlist started, and I have to say that it's been a while since I worked out to a mix I made myself -- since mix tapes themselves were de rigeur, I'd say. Despite any predicted impending snow storm, I think I'll be able to get to the Apple store in Clarendon tomorrow to get a case for the Nano so I can get it (and me) to the gym.********
Full day, no?
* Lazy, but productive, I think! And, I'm pretty sure there will be more.
** Which is well within my comfort zone, but still, decidedly, yummy.
***Most of it will go to a storage locker in the garage.
**** Haven't had a car with Indiana plates for 2.5 years.
***** None of which, of course, work.
****** Why am I allowed to have a credit card?
******* Happy Birthday Ted!!
******** Incidentally, I will be out by Clarendon because book club is towards Falls Church, and it is purely because I'm reading My Life that I was unable to start, never mind finish, this month's book club selection, My Sister's Keeper.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home