thirty by thirty

Thursday, January 25, 2007

What's been up?

Well, some travel, that's for sure. Somehow, after not being abroad for several years, in the second half of 2006, I was in five foreign countries! Looks like I set up my goals a bit backwards, or else I'd be done with both of my travel items! But I should be soon anyway.

Foreign travel:
Honduras - July
Germany (fly-through, but the passport is stamped, and I did have a Bretzel at the airport!) - September
Italy - September
France - September
Mexico - December

Domestic travel:
Long Beach, NY - August
New Orleans - August and September
Augusta, GA - December
Connecticut - coming up! wedding shower in May
Grand Rapids, MI - coming up! wedding in June
Newport, RI - coming up! bachelorette party in June

I have a few months off though to relax and recoup. I may even be in town for two months in a row. Eh, I doubt that though - something will come up.

What else...

I am checking off Item #14, Spend an entire day alone with my dad. The Sunday after Thanksgiving, my dad and I b-o-n-d-e-d. It was very cute, everything he did, he'd remember something else and say "Oh I forgot, I wanted to do that with you too!" He's never been like that - we've never had too much to do together that we couldn't fit it in to any given period of time. But, we did! We started out by waiting for someone to call. That took a long time. When the guy called, we went to meet him at a shooting range ("gun club"?) about a half hour in to Indiana, and did some target practive with handguns. My dad is disgusted that I can't fire a certain gun with one finger. He thinks I need to do hand exercises. I was quite pleased with my aim, nonetheless. Then we went to a few stores to check out genealogy programs, and boutght one. I think I'm in charge of the family tree. As my friend Jacqueline said, "Well, thanks Dad... for giving me a project that will last... the rest of my life." We came home and tried to figure out how to load up the software, and we printed off some pictures (unrelated to the family tree). So that was basically the whole day -- it was really nice. My dad and I have some common ground, and it feels very good.

What else...

You know what? I think I actually put away all of the random stacks of things in my apartment! It only took a move to a new apartment, some angst*, and a few rainy days, but it's done. No pile left unturned. Of course, that doesnt mean that I dont have pictures to hang and paperwork on my desk, but everything is generally in order. And I honestly was starting to think I wasn't that type of girl. I have learned that I have 15 minutes in the morning to straighten the bathroom or unload and reload the dishwasher -- I don't need an entire Saturday to do those things. But when I don't have entire days off and to myself, it does all fall by the wayside and it takes some effort to get my life back in line.

Anything else?

YES, Chavez and I went to The Melting Pot for dinner a few months ago and it was great. We didn't love the meat course, but the cheese (beer-cheddar-garlic and a little bit of YUM) and dessert (chocolate-bailey's-marshmallow) courses were fabulous. As always, we had a fabulous time. I just found out that Chavez is moving to London late this summer. I don't want to get nostalgic too soon, but I will miss her much. And will be visiting London soon!


* Just of the general I'm-in-my-20's type, nothin got be concerned about

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home